SC - Chickens? What chickens?

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Mon Oct 13 10:56:21 PDT 1997

>On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Stephanie Rudin wrote:
>
>> gently and then dispose of the sediment.  Would you want to keep that
>> sediment
>> when using it to cook with?  Or is it just nasty stuff that should be
>> disposed
>> of?
>
>It should be usable as a "substitute" for yeast (it is yeast:-). IIRC
>there are comments by Roman writers (with these words I hereby invoke the,
>Adamantius! ;-) that the Germans had bread that was much nicer that their
>own, without the sour taste and all.
>
>I'm going to have to chase down one of our local brewers and experiment with
>this myself. Probably in my Copious Free Time [TM].
>
>/UlfR

The Romans used grape must from wine making as bread leavening.  This
produces a sourer leavening than the ale barm used by the German tribes.

If you do use the sediment, try "cleaning" it by mixing it with a cup
lukewarm water and a small pince of sugar.  Keep the mixture warm and
decant the liquor when the yeast grows.  Use the liquor for leavening.
To be honest, I haven't tried cleaning barm, but I'm working a deal with
a local brewer to get ale barm to experiment with cleaning and growing
it.

Bear