SC - Re: Illusion food)

Michael P Newton melc2newton at juno.com
Tue Oct 14 15:46:00 PDT 1997

Aoife asks:
>Lastly, do you have any good Arabic sources? I want to come up with some
>decent recipes for Baronial Investiture, cause I think the person who will
>probabbly win for Baron is Christian-Byzantine...  I'm going to look in
>the Miscellany for Arabic stuff...

The Miscellany has in fact got a lot of worked-up Islamic recipes.  If you
want to find the original sources, what we know about in translation
includes:  (1) al-Bagdadi: 13th c., translated by Arberry and published in
Islamic Culture in the 30's, included in Cariadoc's cookbook collection
vol. 1; lots of detailed recipes; (2) ibn al Mubarrad, translated by
Charles Perry 10 or 15 years back and published in Petits Propos
Culinaires, also included in Cariadoc's vol. 1; moderate number of very
terse recipes--almost no spicing mentioned; (3) an anonymous Andalusian
cookbook, translated by Charles Perry and included in Cariadoc's collection
vol. 2; lots of stuff evidently copied from more than one source, including
a section on medicinals.

My guess is that there have got to be Byzantine cookbooks out there
somewhere, but we have never succeeded in finding any.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook