SC - Re:Children from H*ll

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Thu Oct 16 05:16:20 PDT 1997

>Coming soon to an event near you! Branain ap Adamnan, aged six, having
>decided that he is going to be a peer of an unspecified nature, sets out
>to become a page! Head for the hills! Wish _I_ could, sometimes. Not too
>often, but sometimes. He is the living embodiment of the principal that
>states that children are cute so that no one will kill them before
>they're old enough to defend themselves.
>
>Adamantius

Hey, I have you all beat. I have three girls. Two of them are Leos and one
is a Gemini. Hubby is also a Leo. They don't call me Liontamer for nuthin'.
It's wall-to-wall Id in my house (the gemini having enough for any two people).

Child Number One recently chose Elizabeth nic Ghille Brighde as a SCAdian
name. She wanted a first name associated with the Tower of London (all those
jewels, you see....). She went to Pennsic at age 2 1/2 weeks. At age three
she ran headlong into the Coronet Lists because she recognised Daddy. At age
six she was accomplice to her little sister and hijacked one of the golf
carts parked at Autocrat's point. At age 6 (amazingly, just after that
little golf cart episode)she also started helping in the kitchen, grating
cheese or carrots, taking dirty dishes to the sink, etc. At age 7 3/4 she
insisted on staying up until 4 a.m. to help me make meat pies for Crown
Tourney. She is now 8 years old, and is the proud recipient of a Silver
Buccle, Children's Award for service in Aethelmearc.

Number two is known as Mary nic Ghille Brighde (Tower of London first name,
yep. Another one obsessed with glittery crowns). She has a bad habit of
having her Birthday during High Tourney Season. We had a hard time
convincing her when she was little that she didn't get presents at EVERY
event, Just the June ones! She was the driver/instigator in the Golf Cart
Incident, at age 4! This was the day she discovered that if you have
uncontrollable hysterics, comlete with hyperventilation, you won't get
spanked. It is now a routine in our house.  Never the less, at Ras's last
feast, aged 6, she volunteered to serve, and has been quite a help to me in
the kitchen and out. She also is becoming quite an archery champ. She, also,
is the recipient of a Silver Buccle for service.

Number three is still being "molded". She is infinately more precocious than
either of her sisters. She, too, after all, Is a child of Gilbert St.
Jean/aka Brion Domnhall Mac Ghille Brighde. Blood will out. Siusan is still
a Mamma's girl,  so there is hope that Mamma can instill  a desire to do
service. Luckily, she's happy to nap on a cloak on the kitchen floor. That
habit has saved my butt a few times. We don't believe in babysitters.

But you see that there is hope here. My children have gone from golf-cart
thieves to Service Awards. Be patient folks, it will happen.

BTW, I know the child in question (the gingerbread castle Ras mentioned).
She was probably 8 at the time. You get the clue. 'Nuff said.

Aoife