SC - period suerkraut?

Thu Oct 16 08:22:31 PDT 1997

>         Most of my small "feasts", have actually been unplanned freebies
> at camping events. It has driven home the fact that I overcook (30 fed on
> a dinner for 6 with leftovers and full happy tummies abounding) Anybody else "used" to cooking for Farm Boys?

Yes,
my family were all hearty eaters when I cooked, growing up, and I never
got out of the habit of making plenty, plus extras for drop-ins. I would
rather throw away some food, than have anyone leave hungry.  While I
don't yet prepare 'feasts', what DOES happen, is that I routinely end up
feeding myself, my companion and 4-5 others who come by , knowing that I
will have brought too much.  Only, now, I EXPECT them, so I still have
extra, and now have a habit of feeding drop-ins AND offering a spread on
tear-down day of the event to all of my camping neighbors. I have fed
lunch to 20- 25+, impromptu. I really enjoy having neighbors come to eat
with me (not the same people, every meal, mind you- don't want to
support anyone, just enjoy company), so I tend to keep small, canned
'addable' items in a large picnic basket that goes to events for 'just
in case EVEN MORE people show up'. A lot of this stuff is, or might be
OOP,(anyone care to list the period/not period ratings, be my guest... I
don't know, on some things) but noone complains when they're hungry.
Typical campout spread looks like this:
'We must eat this' section:
large roast chicken (sometimes 2, if I already know there will be
others, or roast beef); crusty bread; pita bread; 3-4 types of
cheese,hard, soft & potted (Yes, I always bring extra-sharp cheddar,
yes, I know it's OOP, but I'm addicted); ruby pickled eggs: butter ;
cherry tomatoes (also OOP, but delicious); seasonal veggies for
snacking; Rye or other bagels (OOP? could be, don't care, too good to
pass up); smoked salmon;apples; other, in-season fruit; bottled water ;
soda (surely OOP, but I would be murdered for omitting it.)
'Just in Case' basket:
(This stuff keeps 'till next time, if we don't need it)
canned pickles; canned Lebanese olives; canned hummus & babaghanoush;
caviar; cheap liver pate; small jars of mustard; honey; canned, smoked
oysters & mussels; sourdough pretzels; nuts-almonds, walnuts,
pistachios; hard candies; tins of sardines; Beef or Turkey Jerky, Carr's
gingerbread-lemoncreme cookies; indian 'pickles', such as eggplant,
mango,lime or mixed; sealed-foil poundcakes; wine and/or mead & extra
water & syrup & ingredients for sekanjebun & bitter orange 'lemonade'.
CAN OPENER & WINE CORK-very, very, very important!!! Don't forget
these!;^D

I bring lots of small bowls & a couple of large platters & knives- it's
all finger food, so I don't need 'silverware'. People bring their own
mugs/plates, or stand around platters & eat. A blanket, tablecloth &
pillows are nice, if you have room in your car/truck/bus, in case there
aren't (or aren't enough) tables.

Not everything is used, each time. The 'just in case' basket keeps, and
I just restock what I need to & have it ready.  Also, if there is no
time to pick up food, 'the basket' is already ready, & aside from very
high sodium content, makes a fine picnic on it's own. If you like the
idea, try it- I'd love to drop by YOUR camp, too!  Also, if anyone has
any ideas for items that are convenient and keep well to add, please let
me know- always looking for new stuff.
Hugs & Pinches, Angelique.