SC - Re: Spam-a-Thon!

Jasper Fieth cem8780 at omega.uta.edu
Sat Oct 18 23:23:26 PDT 1997

Jasper Fieth wrote:

> > > Adamantius, you and those damned onion rings.  When will you learn?  (:-)
> > >
> > >         Tibor (It's an old joke, which he has repeated here before.)
> >
> > Who, me? [Looks to see if there's someone standing behind him, that
> > Tibor could possibly be referring to...] What onion rings? [Whistles,
> > _almost_ innocently, gazing at the skies.]
> >
> > Adamantius
>
> And the newbie looks up innocently and asks "What about the onion rings?"

I did an EK Twelfth Night feast a couple of years ago, and was more or
less under orders from my Viceroy to make the meal as absolutely
accurate to period as possible without sacrificing what a modern diner
would consider food quality. (So no, I didn't put gravel in the bread or
anything insane like that.) It was also "suggested" to me that I should
provide a handout for each diner or interested party containing a menu,
recipes, both original and redacted, with English translation where
necessary, and notes regarding any judgment calls I made during the
entire process of producing the meal. I wasn't too happy about this, and
included a wildly non-period "spoiler" in one of the dishes, just to see
what would happen; a sort of culinary practical joke. It was clearly
identified in the documentation AS a joke, but I rather doubted many
people would read the documentation in enough detail to notice it
anyway.

What I had done was to garnish a particularly fine dish (if I say so
myself) of Cominee de poissons (sauteed cod fillet in an almond
milk-based, cumin-flavored sauce), with Durkee French Fried Onion Rings,
out of an enormous can obtained at the local BJ's price club wholesaler.
I thought this would be kind of funny, and I also thought that since
such pottages in period were sometimes garnished with fried onions, it
would be all right to do so, especially since I obviously had other
things to worry about that day, including 400 mushroom pasties, made and
fried on site, a la minute. (I tend to resist the temptation to cook in
advance unless absolutely necessary, a relic of my background in
restaurants.)

Anyway, the dish was, for the most part, a big hit. More than a year
later I was told that my name had been discussed in a Laurel meeting,
and that no one had had anything but good to say about me, except for
one person who wanted to know if I was still putting canned onion rings
on all the food I cook.

Once again proving that a little documentation in the wrong hands can be
dangerous... .

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com