SC - mustard and honey saulce

Robert Beaulieu robert.beaulieu at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 19 21:11:26 PDT 1997

sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> First, a thank you to those who answered my question about where you
> would get quail eggs. I just couldn't imagine where to look. Oriental
> markets have come up so often here and on the Rialto, I guess I'm
> going to have to find some here in Austin.
>
> Do quail eggs really taste that much differnet from chicken eggs? If
> not, they sound like a lot more work. For that matter, do eggs from
> chickens, geese, quail, ducks etc taste different, if they are all
> farm raised? I have heard that there is a differance between farm-
> raised and free-range chickens but I'm asking about just farm-raised
> eggs since that is likely to be all I'm going to be able to get.
>
> Thanks.
>   Stefan li Rous
>   markh at risc.sps.mot.com

> SCA-Cooks".
>
> ===========

   Lord Stefan,

    Quail eggs are somewhat different than chicken eggs, being slightly
milder and creamier in texture. The difference would only be important
to me if the recipe featured the eggs as flavoring. They are a lot more
work, as there are about 8 quail eggs to 1 chicken egg.
    The first week that I got eggs from my quail, I made fried quail
eggs and silver dollar pancakes for Saturday brunch... about a dozen
each was a good serving size. They are just too cute!
    Free range chicken eggs are somewhat stronger flavored and have a
yellower yolk due to the variations in diet, but there is no discernible
difference in nutritional value. Duck and goose eggs are much different,
with their own flavors, nort easily described..... I can remember their
tastes, even after 25 years, but simply can't put it into words.

Ceridwen