SC - pickled herring

ANN1106@aol.com ANN1106 at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 03:37:27 PDT 1997

On 19 Oct 1997, Mark Harris wrote:

> I noticed some jars of pickled herring in my grocery store on Friday.
> There were several varieties. I will take a pad and pencil next time
> I go. But I am wondering how you might use the plain, pickled
> herring?

> Some of the other varieties seemed to be packed in cream or some kind
> of cream sauce.

Being a scandinavian I generally eat pickeled herring with boiled
potaoes, sour cream and some fresh chives (chopped). A "typical" summer
lunch. Around Xmas you are supposed to go berzerk and make "fifty-eleven"
kinds (I am rather partial to the mustard versions myself). Traditional
item on a smorgasbord.

No idea how/if it was used in period.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
How many matematicians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
1. None. It's left to the reader as an exercise.