SC - fresh eggs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 20 06:16:36 PDT 1997

>Very easy-but, I'm sorry to say, not period at all, however, I'm
willing
>to bet you could make a similar, period-style, more involved recipe.
I'm
>still learning,and am no great, nor period cook- just like to eat, and
>like low-hassle food. With that said:
>
>RUBY EGGS
> Hard boil & peel about a dozen eggs. Open 2 cans of pickled, sliced
>beets. Heat liquid from beets with dill, garlic, peppercorns, bayleaf,
>whatever strikes your fancy. Put 1/2 of warm liquid in each of 2 quart
>glass jars.(I use leftover spaghetti sauce jars- GASP- yes, I use
>prepared sauce.) (Need I say DON'T use plastic- it will stain horribly)
>Layer the beets and eggs in the jar, allow to cool, put a lid on and
>refrigerate.  This can be eaten in several hours, but is best if let to
>sit for a couple of days.  The color and flavor seeps into the eggs and
>makes them beautiful, whole, or sliced.  Also, if you serve pickled
>beets at a meal, and have leftover 'beet juice', you can do just juice
>and eggs, about 8 or 9, in a jar. Everyone loves this.
>Angelique

Mi'lady Angelique,
Your pickeled eggs sound wonderful.  I have never tried them with dill
and garlic. I will try it in the next batch I make.
     I make a similar recipe but I make my own pickling liquid.  I use
equal amounts of regular canned sliced beets-pour in the juice, sugar
and cider vinegar. heat in a saucepan with a sliced red onion and a
handful of whole cloves and a cinnamon stick. In a gallon glass jar,
layer the beets and peeled hard boiled eggs.  Pour the hot liquid over
the eggs  and cover.  keep in the fridge for a few days to let the
liquid seep into the eggs.
A gallon sized jar will hold about 1 1/2 doz. eggs and three cans of
beets with pickling liquid.

BTW if the eggs aren't gone in about a week they get kind of rubbery but
will still make wonderful deviled eggs

Ivy~