SC - Re: Pickled egg recipes -- BEETS?

Christina M. Krupp ckrupp at zoo.uvm.edu
Mon Oct 20 07:31:59 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> First, a thank you to those who answered my question about where you
> would get quail eggs. I just couldn't imagine where to look. Oriental
> markets have come up so often here and on the Rialto, I guess I'm
> going to have to find some here in Austin.

My favorite Oriental market didn't have fresh quail eggs.  The owner
suggested trying the canned variety that she said are commonly
available, even when fresh aren't.  There were about 30, hardboiled,
peeled eggs in a can, for $1.39. They come packed in either water or
'brine', tasting almost identical (like the very slight saltiness of the
brined ones better) but both were delicious.  I don't know how this cost
measures up to fresh, but I didn't have to cook or peel them, so they
definately fit my no-hassle prerequisite. I'm making ruby eggs with a
batch, and a can is going into the 'just in case basket', too.
Angelique
"Too much is not enough"