Spam Horrors! Was Re: SC - head cook-serious then SILLY

Kimib2@aol.com Kimib2 at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 08:28:09 PDT 1997

Robert Beaulieu wrote:

> Does any one have a period recipe for a honey and mustard sauce to go
> with a roasted faisan?

While I don't have a period recipe for honey mustard, I can tell you a
couple of things that may interest you. The first is that Taillevent
recommends serving roast pheasant with fine salt only, and the second is
that the addition of honey to mustard in the Middle Ages was a signature
of Lombardy. Lombardy mustard appears to have been fairly coarse, almost
like whole grain mustard, and slightly sweet from the added honey.

I suspect that the coarse variety of Grey Poupon, with a little honey
added to taste, and some white wine and/or white wine vinegar added to
thin it down to a sauce, rather than a spreadable consistency, would be
a good approximation of Lombard mustard sauce.

You could, of course, make your own in more or less the same way.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com