SC - Re: Spam-a-Thon!

Stephanie Rudin rudin at okway.okstate.edu
Mon Oct 20 10:50:47 PDT 1997

In re: fried bologna, or other fried "sandwich meats", my own
experience is that it is *not* an "Eastern thing". The references
to being related to growing up in the Depression may be
significant, but I suspect that the root origins may go back to
the use of pan-fried ham (either alone or in combination with
other foods).

Adamantius, growing up in Oklahoma the only time I encountered
fried salami&eggs was when I made it myself (clearing refrigerator
left-overs, and no, sadly it was not "the good stuff" -- I did not
have a regular, reasonably-priced source for hard ["Genoa"] salami
at the time).

In re: Spam, and various uses therefor, one of my favorite methods
of preparation may sound like an abomination to some of those
reading this list (considering recent discussions of pate):

Holiday Pate (from memory: orig. recipe may be from packaging, may
be from cookbook, or may have been originally found in _Grit_ or
_Capper's Weekly_)
1 standard can of Spam (alt: as much boiled ham)
1 standard pkg of cream cheese (8 oz?)
Spices to taste (esp. thyme, powdered ginger, and parsley)
green olives (I prefer to not use pimiento-stuffed myself, but
inclusion of the pimiento gives this the red-green holiday
coloration...)

Grate Spam. Allow cheese to warm to room temp. Cream together,
adding spices and chopped green olives. Pack into mold or
container, chill thoroughly. Turn out of mold, decorate surface
with sliced olives.

Serve cold with crackers. (Provide a butter knife for spreading,
else allow to return to near room temp and most crackers will
withstand "dipping".)

A single batch just about fills a Cool Whip container, which makes
this a useful item for taking to picnics & parties. (Layer slices
of olive on bottom of container before filling with mixture, turn
onto lid for serving, and the whole is disposable...)

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle / Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra /
Mike C. Baker       F.O.B. (Friend Of Blackfox)
My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!