SC - OFFTOPIC Technical Note

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Tue Oct 21 08:32:47 PDT 1997

>Chanda Shaffer wrote:
>>
>> Mi'lady Angelique,
>> Your pickeled eggs sound wonderful.  I have never tried them with
dill
>> and garlic. I will try it in the next batch I make.
>>      I make a similar recipe but I make my own pickling liquid.  I
use
>> equal amounts of regular canned sliced beets-pour in the juice, sugar
>> and cider vinegar.
>
>Is that equal amounts of juice, sugar and vinegar? Or is there less
>sugar? No water? Is is possible, if the sugar amount is correct, that
>that is what makes the eggs rubbery? I have eaten my version 2 weeks
>later, and they've been good, but maybe I just haven't really noticed.
>am happy to get this recipe, because I have lots of canned, sliced,
>beets, but would much prefer pickled beets & eggs.  Thanks.

Sorry, I'm  a few days behind.   I use equal amounts of sugar, vinagar
and the juicefrom the canned, sliced beets.  My method is this- pour the
beet juice into a measuring cup.  Lets say that I get 2C of beet juice
out of them.  Then I use 2C of sugar and 2C of vinagar in addition to
the 2C of beet juice.
This recipe is one that has been handed down to me from my grandmother,
it's never been written down on paper, that I know of.

Ivy~