SC - Three Kings - Ansteorra

Michael P Newton melc2newton at juno.com
Tue Oct 21 13:19:36 PDT 1997

- ---ANN1106 at aol.com wrote:
> Feel free to prepare the Hoppin' John without the cheese on top!
Absolutely! That is probably a family variation, anyway...

> Have eaten hoppin john on New Years since I was old enough
> to remember and no one ever prepared it with either canned
> black eye peas or cheese on top!!!
> Traditionally, a ham hock is used, not bacon...

"Awright, awright -- never claimed it was THE receet for this stuff,
just what was lurking in my memory. Ham hocks iffen ya can fine 'em,
soaked & byelt 'peas if ya wanta (bile the hocks in the peas, were I
you, skimmin' the extry hog grease as ya go), and leave out tha
celtery iffen hit would mean an extry trip to tha store."

> Audrey - don't mind me, I just lurk

But I *do* mind. And appreciate.

And thank you. Part of the "charm" of this list is sharing
variations on food preparation methods and ingredients, as well as
memories.

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra (AoA in SCA, so: al-Sayyid) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
     F.O.B. (Friend Of Blackfox)
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com OR MikeCBaker at aol.com