SC - Three Kings - Ansteorra

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Tue Oct 21 13:54:01 PDT 1997

<< Hen's eggs do, however, taste different from the eggs of ducks and
 geese. >>

Ras writes:

> IMHO, eggs from free run chickens are better flavored than commercial > eggs. I
> am also of the opinion that brown eggs are better for baking than white eggs.

> The debate over the taste of eggs and whether there is a difference in flavor
> between eggs from different chicken varieties has raged on for years and
> years. I must humbly submit that those  who have educated their palettes in
> this food group can and do detect very real differences in flavor.

Until I was ten and we moved into the city limits, we raised chickens and ducks.  (Free range?  The little blighters would have come in the HOUSE if we'd let them... we were forever having to chase them back into the pen)

My mom would save the duck eggs for cakes and/or cookies; but once in a while you'd get lucky and get one for breakfast.  The flavor in egg varied even between the different hens.  Unfortunately, due to my age at the time, I remember the chickens who laid the best eggs by their pet names; not by their breeds or varieties... but Belinda, my dad's prize layer, gave LAVENDER eggs that tasted magnificent.  The green and brown eggs were pretty good too; and yes, there WAS a difference, even to a ten-year-old palate...

I still attest that the nasty pale things we get in the supermarket these days with the weak white shells are only nominally related to real eggs.

	- kat (who will never forget the look on my first-grade teacher's face when, asked to bring in four eggs for a school project, I brought in one brown, one tan, one green and one lavender egg...  <hee hee hee...>)