SC - medieval "spam"?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 22 07:44:14 PDT 1997

Old note:
  Looking back at it, I'm not so sure that I got the initial quantity of
  water correct from memory...

True.  It's 2:1 water to rice, more if the rice is brown rice.  (This varies
depending upon desired result, of course. Sticky rice desired?  More water.
Crunchier?  Less water.  But 1:1, as you listed, was not quite right.)

  Having seen other commentary about in-period oranges, I'm wondering if
  it would help my proposed version of this dish if the zest of one or
  two were added to the juice? (Newbie time: by "zest", I *think*
  everyone means the grated brightly-colored portion of the peel, which
  is the primary source of peel oils. Right?)

Yes.  The zest is as you describe.

	Tibor