SC - Re: feastocrat vs. head cook

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 22 13:08:58 PDT 1997

><<
> I think that the sugar beet is actually period.  There is a European Castle
> that I saw on A&E that was from the 1400's that has sugar beets as part of
> the Device of the owners, a baron something or other.  I will try to find
> the particulars.
>
>                      Lord Jonathus Fitche d'Abercrombie
>  >>
>       Oh, please do, Jon! I've been interested in growing them sometime and
>trying to make sugar. Or at least use them to sweeten baked goods for my
>mother, who is allergic to cane sugar, among many other things...........
>Anyone else have info on them?
>
>    Ldy Diana

While the sugar beet may be period, extraction of beet sugar apparently
isn't.  Commercial sugar extraction from beets is a 19th century thing.
I suspect the sugar beet was subjected to careful breeding to produce a
better raw material for sugar.  I did a fast filler for the Black Star
some time ago, but I was very cursory in researching beet sugar since
production was OOP.

In the case of an allergy, I'd use the beet sugar, or experiment with
honey or malt extract.

Bear