SC - Re: Pickled egg recipes -- BEETS?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 22 13:13:40 PDT 1997

Steve Geppert <emster at alaska.net> writes:
> Looking for something to do with a bag of "older" apples I had on the
> I couldn't seem to find anything similar. Is this something that could
> be period?  It would be a great traveling dish as it can be served

Well, The Domestroi has a listing for "Kirzamin apples" (not sure of
the first word) which was simply apples (whole) put in a container with
honey on them until the apples became soft (i think... i'm going from
memory here) There were almost certainly some acetic fermentaion that
went on inside the apples before th osmatic pressure of the honey made
a preserved fruit.... so we have apples, honey, and most likely
vineger... but no cooking...  There were several other recipies for
cooking fruit with the addition of honey... i'll try to remember and
look to see if vinegar was used in any of them..

In Service to the People of the Society,
Filip of the Marche