SC - Cook's badge-- Artwork is ready!

Ariadne Melissena bonnie at inetarena.com
Wed Oct 22 13:36:39 PDT 1997

I wrote:

<< Belinda, my dad's prize layer, gave LAVENDER eggs >>

kimi responds:

> what in the world did you feed that creature to get lavendar eggs???

Kimi, our feed was standard 50-lb.-burlap-sack chicken feed from Nielsen's Hay and Grain Store (on Broadway between 4th and 5th, Eureka <g>).  In addition, Dad used to throw in a couple handfuls of what he called "egg maker," which was also a commercial chicken-feed supplement.  Dunno what was in it; this was the late 60s/early 70s, so could have been anything.

Leo M. Pola added:

> if the layer was a chicken - it was probably either an Aruacana
> (spellling?) or bred from that south american breed - in the 60's and
> early seventies they were popular - crossbreds sold and raised as
> "easter egg chickens" - cornell did a lot of cross breeding experiments
> with them as the egg colour and comb shape were linked - some breeds of
> ducks also lay various coloured eggs naturally

Very likely.  My dad is very into experimenting and experimental things; and I know he raised several different breeds of chickens and ducks.  He really gets into things like yellow watermelon and purple tomatoes, etc.; and he loves to crossbreed squash and graft fruit trees...  my guess is, if someone was selling chickens in 1970 that were crossbred specifically to lay colored eggs, he would have bought them in a flash.  :-)

Thanks for that information; it's always interesting to gain some insight on your past...

	- kat

"Live, live, live!  Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

          - Auntie Mame