SC - Re: feastocrat vs. head cook

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 22:38:33 PDT 1997

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, marilyn traber wrote:

> > There is also a non-sugar sweetener made from birch sap or bark or
> > something
> > to that effect.
> > -brid
>
> Take a birch tree, treat it like a sugar maple. the juice resulting can
> be fermented into birch beer, or condensed into syrup. One of theese
> years I am going to try it, having birch trees on the farm.
> margali

Yes, but please note that the sap (and cambium) does contain sugars and
carbohydrates. What was refereed to is most likely xylitol, which is one
of the artificial sweeteners (IIRC it is chemically a sugar, but not
useable as such by the body, and does funky things with some bacteria,
which is why it is supposedly good for your teeth to chem
xylitol-containing gum. I still refuse.).

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
You are in a twisty little passage of standards, all conflicting.