SC - onion pottage

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Oct 23 14:03:36 PDT 1997

Christi Redeker wrote:

> This is the first time I have seen cilantro mentioned on the list.  Was this a
> period spice used commonly?

The simple answer is yes.  The more complex answer is that it depends on
where you lived in period. The plant from which cilantro grows was
pretty much spread across much of the Eurasian land mass. Cilantro
generally refers specifically to the green leaves, stems, and roots of
the plant, while the seeds are generally referred to as coriander.

In general, the Northern portions of the Eurasian landmass are where the
coriander seeds would be used in cooking, whereas the southern parts is
where you would find cilantro being eaten, particularly in places like
the Middle East and India.

Now, it's also very common in the cuisines of South America.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com