SC - Deletable PC stuff, only partly to do with food.

Jasper Fieth cem8780 at omega.uta.edu
Thu Oct 23 19:52:08 PDT 1997

Aine of Nowhere wrote:

> I dunno, is perrier a product from this age?
> Ithink that lime perrier is the staff of life....gotta bottle at desk side right

Perrier appears, based solely on the advertising copy, to be a product
from this age. The fact that that information may not be accurate is
barely relevant. As Cariadoc points out, unless the fizziness was
regarded as something worth preserving, for which need the required
technology did not exist, apparently, then there was no point in using
this water over any locally available product, and no point in
transporting it. Perhaps with REALLY long straws...?

I suppose the point is that the existence of carbonated streams in
period doesn't really justify drinking soda at events, assuming that one
needs justification. Personally, I get quite frighteningly grouchy when
I am not plied with seltzer at regular intervals, when cooking a feast,
and don't especially care about documentation under those circumstances.

On those occasions when I feel it's necessary to document what I pour
into my gob, I drink water, wine, milk or buttermilk, hard or fresh
cider, ale, etc. It's not as if there are no alternatives to soda.

Adamantius, who also needs plain soda water on the side of his neat
whisky
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com