SC - Late-period is NOT Medieval

Maddie Teller-Kook meadhbh at io.com
Fri Oct 24 11:48:17 PDT 1997

<<
 A recipe recently found for birch leaf wine (Actually a leaf wine in
 general recipe; since I live in Oak Heart, I am going to do the oak leaf
 wine this next spring): Pick 4 qts. of very young oak or birch leaves in
 the early spring when the leaves are the size of a mouse's ear. Pour four
 pints of boiling water over the leaves, let stand for a day, and then
 strain. Warm the liquid to dissolve two lbs. of sugar ( I think I'm going
 to use honey instead and make it a oakleaf mead). Add one half cup lemon
 juice and when cool, one tablespoon of yeast. Add water to make a volume
 of one gallon, and ferment.
 >From the chapter on Family Wines in _ The Beers and Wines of Old New
 England.
 Lady Beatrix  >>

Dear Lady,
     I do not have a lot of experinece with meads, I have only done two, but
my first won first placein our Baronial Brewing and Vingning contest.  I would
bevery interested in the results of your Oakleaf mead, as I am aware of how
much tannin is in the oakleaf.  From what I have read, tannin can be
detrimental to yeast production.  Of course, since you are using very young
leaves, the tannin level might not be too high.  And I am curious what kind of
yeast you are planning to use.  If this is your first effort please, please
PLEASE
.