SC - white drinks and other foods

Tyrca Tyrca at aol.com
Fri Oct 24 13:04:29 PDT 1997

I've never had any problems from the salt, but then I normally use
exceptionally hard to kill dry active yeast, which I usually proof to
get it started.  If I add the salt to the yeast, it is immediately
before I start adding the flour.

Technically, I should have sifted the salt into flour.  Since I am
working with a yeast liquor rather than dry active yeast, it would have
been better to add salt to the flour.  I will correct this point on my
recipe for future use.

The failure of the first batch was not due to the salt, which I had
forgotten until I had already stirred in the first half cup and quickly
added to the flour.  I goofed the proof using such a small amount of
yeast.  It was the yeast failure which got me to try making a barm.

When I try this again, I'll follow Markham's technique of mixing the dry
ingredients together and then adding the liquor to the dry mix.

Thanks for catching my faux pas.

Bear