SC - Fava beans & Saffron

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Oct 24 19:14:53 PDT 1997

>Fill your swans with fresh curds or fresh ricotta you make yourself from
>whole milk. Fresh or green cheese or curds certainly are documentable. Mix
>in some fresh herbs---dill and chives work very well together. Another good
>one is hummus, which is sort of tan.

I would especially like to make my own cheese!  But HOW IN AMERICA (I'm
certian it's possible in other partes of Earth) do I find NON-Homogenized
milk?  The dairy farmers won't sell it to people because of the law that -
well - says they can't!  I don't know anyone with a "pet" cow or goats or
whatever.  How do I find it?  I know it has to be pasteurized - that just
involves cooking the milk to kill bacteria.  But homogenization involves
adding fermaldehyde to the milk to prevent the cream from separating.  My
parents in Idaho know a rancher who sells milk "for animals" that hasn't
been homogenized, but that doesn't help me much here in Oregon.
Suggestions?  ANYONE?  I've always thought it would be fascinating to make
my own cheese - and we are homeschooling too, so I think it would be an
excellent "science" experiment for the kids to learn "where cheese comes
from".  Thanks in advance!

- -Laurene