SC - cuskynoles

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Fri Oct 24 22:04:28 PDT 1997

><< e: adding the salt to the liquid...wouldn't that kill the yeast and
>prevent
> the bread from rising?   >>
>
>Adding the salt to the recipe would slow down the growth of the yeast. This
>is good. Fast growing yeast produces unwanted compounds which could, for
>instance, cause a decided bitter flavor in the finished product.
>
>Ras

Good point.  Salt is generally added to improve the flavor of the bread,
which is why I'll increase the salt the next time I make manchet. It
does slow yeast activity and by doing so "sweetens" the bread.  The
ratios of yeast/salt/flour differ based primarily on the length of the
rise.

In the case of the recipe for manchet, the major rise of the bread is
during baking and the rise times are so short that you really don't
worry about fast growing yeast.  Standard bread recipes usually call for
1 teaspoon of salt to one or two teaspoons of dry active yeast and about
two pounds of flour with a two hour first rise and a one to two hour
second rise.

The place where the balance gets tricky is when you create a slow rise
bread or a starter.  Either of these may rise for as much as twelve
hours.  Some of the recipes I've seen call for tablespoon of salt to a
teaspoon of yeast and two pounds of flour.

Bear