SC - Tansy:To poison or not to poison

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Oct 25 21:17:43 PDT 1997

James and/or Nancy Gilly wrote:

> I can't find either of my copies of Baron Salaamallah's mustard soup recipe
> (one from the *Nocking Point* a few years back, one from the A&S issue of
> the *Pikestaff* around the same time).  Do any of you folks from the
> Eastrealm have it?  (Margali?  Ras?  Adamantius?)  And does anyone know what
> documentation His Excellency has for it?

I regret that I've never tasted His Excellency Salaamallah's mustard
soup, but it does appear to have quite a wide reputation. The only
mustard soup I can think of, offhand, from a primary source, is in le
Viandier de Taillevent. He's got a recipe for egg sops, with a similar
recipe for mustard sops, as a sort of partner to it. I don't recall if
the mustard sops is a variation on the egg sops, or if it is intended
that they be served together.

Are poached eggs, or, for that matter, eggs in any form, involved in the
mustard soup you know? This might provide a clue as to whether this soup
has some basis in the Viandier's recipe.

Maybe a query on the EK list might get us somewhere. Perhaps someone
from Barony Beyond the Mountain might have a recipe for this.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com