SC - Bruise Ointment

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Sun Oct 26 20:00:27 PST 1997

Charles McCN wrote:

> What was that?? - Charles
>
> > So, if I understand this correctly, it was a medeival case of the Donner
> > Party's plight.
> > Lady Beatrix

A quick precis, wildly OT, for which I beg the list's indulgence:

The Donner party were famously unlucky immigrants from, what, Missouri
(?) to California, c. 1849 or so. They had the misfortune to enter the
foothills of the Sierra Nevadas just as the first snowfall  of winter
fell, meaning that a trip across the mountains, scheduled to last, and
be adequately supplied for, perhaps a week, suddenly became a journey of
perhaps four or five months. Some members of the group eventually began
to eat their dead, and still later killed a couple of guides
specifically for food. Some of them left diaries which have to be seen
to be believed, and are among the most heart-rending documents in human
history.

<sigh> Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com