SC - Donner disc:

Tue Oct 28 07:00:23 PST 1997

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> I discussed this with a Danish exchange student who is living with some
> of my inlaws.  He commented that most of Europe still uses few corn
> products and that most of their corn is used as animal fodder.  It
> didn't slow him up with the chips and salsa.
<snip>

In 1965, my great-grandmother and great-aunt were visiting us from
Northern England (Northumberland).  While they were stay with us, we
had the first corn on the cob of the season.  My sister and I were
excited, this was a looked for ward to treat.  Great-grandmother and
Aunt Ella, on the other hand, were worried.  They there, it turned out,
were thinking of a reciepe they had seen in a magazine.  It was for
nibblite corn with chopped onion and different peppers and so on.  This
was apparently a "foreign, ethinic dish".
    They were surprised when we sat down to dinner and the platter of
cobbs of corn was placed in front of them.  And we were sure surprised
when they took the corn holders to prie out each kernal, one by one.
Turned out this was the first time they had ever eaten corn.

Isobel fitz Gilbert
Lions Gate, An Tir