SC - Fo: Mustard soup recipe

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Tue Oct 28 13:41:46 PST 1997

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 28-Oct-97 SC - Period
Potatoes by Ron and L. Wells at vr-net.
>    I had seen that comment before that "Potatoes aren't period" but I don't
> see how this is possible.  There were Irish people living during Medival
> times, and  potatoes in Ireland are a STAPLE food!  In fact, I saw on TLC
> once, where hundreds of thousands of Irish men women and children starved to
> death at one point (sorry, it was a few months ago, and I dont' remember the
> date cited) because of a blight brought in from England that destroyed ALL
> the potato crops on the Island.  It left the poor with nothing (as the show
> stated it , "not very little to eat but NOTHING to eat") to eat for many
> months, and the population was devastated.  I'm far from an expert in
> Medival cooking, but I do not see how potatoes could be anything but period!

The potato famine was a 19th century event--it's also what major factor
in the great Irish immigration to the USA.  Potatos became a staple food
in Ireland after period, and the famine was a combination of potato
blight, and genocidal food policies on the part of the English
government.

toodles, margaret