SC - "Irish" Potatoes

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 28 15:48:01 PST 1997

Ron and Laurene Wells wrote:

>    I had seen that comment before that "Potatoes aren't period" but I don't
> see how this is possible.  There were Irish people living during Medival
> times, and  potatoes in Ireland are a STAPLE food!

Potatoes were a staple food of the Irish during the 18th and 19th
century. They were not a staple during the time period prior to the 17th
century.

 In fact, I saw on TLC
> once, where hundreds of thousands of Irish men women and children starved to
> death at one point (sorry, it was a few months ago, and I dont' remember the
> date cited) because of a blight brought in from England that destroyed ALL
> the potato crops on the Island.  It left the poor with nothing (as the show
> stated it , "not very little to eat but NOTHING to eat") to eat for many
> months, and the population was devastated.  I'm far from an expert in
> Medival cooking, but I do not see how potatoes could be anything but period!

This incident is the Great Potato Famine that occurred during the 19th
century. Many died and many more left Ireland to never return.  This
incident did occur outside the time period stated for the SCA per
Corpora.

meadhbh