SC - Onion Soup

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Oct 30 18:47:21 PST 1997

>Can anyone provide the quotes?  Gods only know where my copy of Shakespeare
>has gotten to....
>

>Alasdair mac Iain
>
>-----------------------------
>James and/or Nancy Gilly
>katiemorag at worldnet.att.net

Let the sky rain potatoes.
                     The Merry Wives of Windsor (Act V, Scene 5)

How the devil Luxury, with his fat rump and potato-finger, tickles these
together.
                      Trolius and Cressida (Act V, Scene 2)

The references are probably to sweet potatoes, but it suggests that the
public was probably familiar with the sweet potato even if they didn't
eat it.

Another interesting comment, this from Reay Tannehill's Food in History,
is that in 1573 the Hospital de la Sangre in Seville ordered potatoes at
the same time they did other stocks.  Which suggests that potatoes were
being used in Spain, though they may not have been common.

The information is attributed to Salaman, R.N.; The History and Social
Influence of the Potato.  I believe this book has been previously been
noted on the list.  It is supposed to be the seminal work on the history
of the potato.

Bear