SC - Welcome to Mistress Meghan

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Fri Oct 31 08:35:10 PST 1997

>Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:01:22 -0400
>From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
>Subject: Re: SC - Onion Soup

>Lettuce cooked with chicken broth has an ancient and honorable heritage
>in the cuisines of France, Italy, and much of Asia. I think you'd be
>more likely to find it in the form of lettuce added to chicken stock to
>make a soup, rather than as an ingredient of the stock itself, but it is
>a marvelous combination: sweet but not too powerful.
>
>Adamantius
>______________________________________
>Phil & Susan Troy
>troy at asan.com

  Italians have made chicken soup using escarole for a very long time, I
found a recipe once that claimed to be period, but I didn't have time to
investigate it further, and by mistake didn't even document where I found
the recipe.
 There has always been a debate in my family whether or not to cut the
escarole into squares or to put whole leaves in the soup, but what was
never debated was when to put it in the soup.  The last minute or two right
before it was served.  Otherwise the escarole lost all of its crunch and
was soggy and unappetizing looking, as well as didn't feel right on the
palate.
  I have to admit I never thought of using lettuce.  Maybe there is a use
for iceberg lettuce after all.

	Angeline di Aquila, Dominion of Myrkfaelinn