Re- SC - cheese soup-

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Oct 31 16:19:38 PST 1997

I posted:

>>There is a "Green Broth of Eggs and Cheese" in Menagier de Paris (late 14th
>>c.)  Quite good, although some people give poached eggs floating in soup a
>>funny look.

and Stefan had some questions.

>> Item, some do not add bread, but instead of bread use bacon. [end of
>>original]
>
>Bacon will strain through the strainer?

Haven't tried the bacon version.

>>Soak bread in stock...
>
>Fresh bread? or stale, drier bread. Or should you toast the bread? Just
>seems difficult to strain fresh, soft bread. And messy.

Either.  It is probaly easier with stale bread, but works with fresh;
either way, you are soaking it first.

>>Grind parsley, sage, and saffron in a mortar thoroughly
>
>Fresh parsley? I would assume so, but again, dried would seem to grind in
>a mortar easier.

 Definitely fresh.  It is a green broth, and fresh ground-up parsley is a
strong green food coloring, which dried parsley is not.

>Stefan li Rous
>mark_harris at email.sps.mot.com

Elizabeth/Betty Cook