SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #324

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Oct 3 04:56:51 PDT 1997

>        Sure! But if you want fragrance and hips, I'd go for some of the
>period varieties instead, at least if your wild roses are similar to mine and
>are scentless with small hips. There are a number of companies that sell old
>roses. My favorite is Heirloom Garden Roses, in Oregon, I think. I loaned my
>catalog out to my aunt, unfortunately, so I can't give you the address, but
>you should be able to find an ad for them in gardening magazines. They give
>the dates of origin or first mention by each variety, and have an amazing
>number that are period. I've got a couple, an Apothecary Rose and another I'm
>blanking on at the moment, that are wonderful!
>      I also happened to run across a website yesterday on old roses that you
>might enjoy. It's at:
>
>       http://www.halcyon.com/cirsium/rosegal/welcome.htm
>
>   Ldy Diana, whose hot buttons include old roses and their uses......... ;-)

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I live in the deep woods, and my garden
only gets about 2 hours of sunlight directly a day. Roses need a bit more
than that, plus the deer eat them down to the ground. I had some planted
under my bedroom window, and they were destroyed...couldn't even find the
roots. The end of my very long driveway recieves some sun. That's where wild
roses and wild raspberries and blackberries grow in profusion. I've tried
planting things there on purpose, but those deer won't leave anything alone.....

sigh

Aoife