SC - Re: Bay leaves

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 3 09:11:57 PDT 1997

Master Adamantius writes in pertinent part:

> I suppose my biggest problem with bay leaves is the fact that they are
> kind of tough, especially when dried, so if they aren't left whole or
> powdered, but just crumbled a bit, they are really hard to remove and
> rather unpleasant to chew.
>
> I guess the decision should be made on those criteria.
>
> Adamantius
> ______________________________________
> Phil & Susan Troy
> troy at asan.com

It is my understanding that bay leaves are insoluble in the human gut
(for lack of a better all-purpose and encompassing word) and are
sufficiently woody to have the charming property of being able to cause
tearing and poking damage to internal tissue. As a consequence, our
family practice was/is to add them whole to dishes, hide the 'prize'
somewhere on or immediately near one's plate like watermelon seeds, and
very carefully avoid chewing any part of them.

ciorstan
(who bought a very small bay laurel tree three days ago for $1.49)