SC - Gift Ideas

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Fri Oct 3 09:45:45 PDT 1997

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Christi Redeker wrote:

>  How period are cookies?  Other than shortbread and gingerbread, which
>  we have already discussed.  What are some other types of cookies, or
>  sweetbread type items that would make good gifts for the holidays?

Unfortunately, cookies, as such, are not even close to period.  They
require the use of baking powder or baking soda - which is 19th century.

You can to various sweet yeast breads.  If you go slightly out of period
to late Elizabethan / Jacobean you have a variety of bisket breads, etc.
that are much like biscotti.  and there's always my favorite from Kenelm
Digbie - "Excellent Short Cakes" made to the redaction by Mistress Johanna
of Griffenhurst.

elaina