SC - Spices and sensitive palates

Tyrca at aol.com Tyrca at aol.com
Fri Oct 3 12:09:57 PDT 1997

Tyrca here.
     All this discussion about pork roasts is about to send me to the store,
and see if the pork prices are somewhere in my wallet range (yum!)
     When we were in Germany about 5 years ago, a German friend of mine told
me the best to cook a pork roast.  I have not seen a recipe, this was really
just discussion that I later took to the kitchen and tried out.
     In a large roaster pan or dutch oven, place roast, two large onions
chopped, about 8 juniper berries, and a small handful of caraway seeds, then
fill pan with 2 or 3 inches of water, and roast in a 350 degree F oven,
basting periodically.  My favorite part is the way the onion-flavored water
causes the top of the roast to brown and crackle as it cooks.  I have never
had a sandwich made from this roast, because no matter how many (or how few)
people, I feed, there are never any left-overs.

Tyrca