SC - re: late feasts/cooking laurels

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Sat Oct 4 06:04:55 PDT 1997

Adamantius wrote:

> I remember being told by (well, let's not get into who, if you don't
> mind) that the West rarely does a feast, and that, until fairly
> recently, neither did several other of the kingdoms. This was quite a
> few years ago, of course, and I assumed things have changed since I was
> told that.

In my six years in Caid (which is decidedly Western Rite), my Barony ran
approximately one event a month, but only one or two feasts a year, and
those (to overgeneralize) not as good or as period as those I've had in
the Middle and the East.  In part, this was because many of our events
were outdoors, in public parks, with no kitchens or dining facilities.
Which in turn is presumably because it never rains, it never gets
cold,....

On the other hand, this approach has its advantages.  One obvious one is
that most of our events had no site fee at all.  Another is that, for
all the West Coast's lack of practice running feasts, they did more and
better camping events: there were more period-looking pavilions, and
they were actually used more than once or twice a year.  For the typical
event in Calafia, people showed up at the park at  8 AM, set up a dozen
or more pavilions, ran a tourney and a variety of games, held a court
around 4 or 5 PM, and struck all the pavilions before heading off in
groups to various local restaurants.  Only the major non-tourney events
(Coronation, Twelfth Night, etc.) were held at indoor sites and had
feasts associated with them.

I've never been to an event in the West, but I understand they also do
LOTS of camping events and relatively few feasts.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu
					 http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/