SC - Re: Buried Foods--Eggs

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Sat Oct 4 06:08:26 PDT 1997

Aoife wrote:
> Make an extra-strong batch of black tea....
>
> Hard-boil high quality fresh eggs ....
> Remove from the water, dry them off, and tap the shell against a hard
> surface until just well cracked all over....
>
> Immerse into your tea, and leave them there at least over night, but several
> days is better....
>
> When ready, remove the eggs from the tea and shell them. They will have a
> nice marbled, aged appearance.

As Adamantius pointed out, this is "tea eggs", a completely different dish
from "thousand year eggs".  I've never had the latter, but my Szechuan
stepmother makes the former frequently.  She makes the bath from not
only tea, but a bit of soy sauce and a few seeds of star anise.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu
					 http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/