SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #328

Charissa ladycharissa at geocities.com
Sun Oct 5 11:34:04 PDT 1997

> From: Ron and Laurene Wells <tinyzoo at vr-net.com>
> And how do you know when it's appropriate to substitute marigold > petals for saffron?  (Sorry, I can't afford a spice that costs $1000 > an ounce!)

$1000 an ounce???  Saffron's expensive, but, if someone has quoted THAT
price to you... they're really trying to rip you.  I can get REALLY GOOD
saffron from an Indian grocery for about $23-26 an ounce (and in a
pretty little tin, no less :), or about $6-7 a gram wholesale at
healthfood co-ops.  If anyone's interested in the stuff from the Indian
grocery, let me know- I hope to be travelling out that way in a few
months, and I can take orders.

Side note: do ya'll know you should refridgerate saffron?  I just found
this out myself a few weeks ago, from the Indian gentleman who told me
where to get the saffron from, and none of my friends know it either, so
I thought I'd share ;).  I've been using saffron for years, but have
always bought it in tiny quantities, so I never noticed a decrease in
flavor.  But, if you're buying it in enough quantity to keep around for
more than a few days (i.e., a full ounce :), it should be refridgerated.

Just my 0.02 (which won't buy ANY saffron, which is why I'm so liberal
with those 0.02's :)
Marjorie
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/1258
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et
fructuosis potiri potes!