SC - below the salt (was re: cormarye)

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Mon Oct 6 08:16:49 PDT 1997

> From kat at kagan.com Fri Oct  3 21:40:07 1997
> From: kat <kat at kagan.com>
> To: "'cooks'" <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
> Subject: SC - below the salt (was re: cormarye)
> Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 19:17:08 -0700
> Sender: owner-sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
>

> > If I can get pork butt fairly inexpensively
> > I think it would be wonderful for the "Commoners Course".
>
> Gunthar!   Are you the one who was talking about doing the "above/below the salt" feast?  If so, please PLEASE email me privately (or not, if others are interested in the thread.)  I am planning something similar for my barony's annual White Shield feast (our biggest event of the year and Gods help me if I screw it up, worryworryworry...) and would LOVE to compare notes with you...
>
> 	- kat

I'm sorry for leading you astray slightly, kat, but I'm not really doing an
"Above the salt" type of feast although it could be easily adapted for this.

I'm doing a three course meal consisting of a first course of hearty simple
foods. This would normally be served to all of the diners. Basically a complete
meal in itself.

The second course, which could be served to only the "upper classes", will
consist of smaller portions of more adventurous and delicate dishes.  Another
full, but smaller meal.

The last course will consist of platters of finger foods so that the feasters
may now roam, converse, dance and graze at their leisure.

I think this should work well within the 12th Night concept.

I'm going to discuss recipes and questions later on this list. I have the bones
of the first course sketched out and need to work on the latter two.

Yers,

Gunthar