SC - Cassoulet

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Wed Oct 8 16:24:30 PDT 1997

Philip & Susan Troy 10/8/97 5:52 PM

>At the risk of rehashing old discussions that are probably archived
>somewhere, yes, lentils, chick peas, and favas are it among what we
>commonly think of as beans, until the end of period. While other beans
>were known after Columbus' jaunt to the New World, they do not appear to
>have been widely eaten by Europeans until the late 16th, early 17th
>centuries. One can argue that Europeans had exposure to the New World
>beans (such as haricots vert, cannelini, red kidney beans, etc.) within
>period, but the fact is that their use is not typical of period European
>eating habits, any more than the other New World foods.

Yes I am aware of this. However, Constance Hieatt has done an incredible
amount of research on medieval foods and recipes. She has seen
manuscripts that still are not available for general usage. I was
wondering if she knew something about kidney beans that we do not. She
specifically talks of limited types of beans in the middle ages but
includes kidney beans in the list of available beans which surprised me.

Clarissa