SC - below the salt

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Wed Oct 8 22:44:04 PDT 1997

Jessica Tiffin wrote:

> Margali wrote:
>
> >My version of Cassoulet d'isignie
> >
> >(lots more snipped)
>
> I assume this is period - could you give us the documentation, pretty
> please??
>
> Melesine

I was classically french trained, and it is something I learned the hard
way, by doing them in large quantities over the course of a winter
daily. I have no clue of how old the recipe is offhand, except as much
of the classic french cuisine dates to the 17 and 1800s. Instead of the
chicken legs, it is supposed to be confit of goose, which I forgot to
give directions for.

Take the legs and drumette sections of raw goose, take and melt enough
unseasoned goose fat to cover the legs.drumettes laid out in a
rectangular pan [pieces not touching] place in a very slow oven, 250 f
until all the water is driven out of the fat and goose has absorbed much
of the fat. I find about 2-3 hours is enough. It sounds like it would be
greasier than all get out, bt if you use the confit, you dont add butter
to the top. Confit if placed in a jar, and the fat poured over all will
keep without refrigeration for about a week.

margali