SC - Small Feasts

Sharon L. Harrett ceridwen at commnections.com
Thu Oct 9 11:40:28 PDT 1997

Greetings all,

	Reading the Small Feasts thread brought to mind the first feast I did
in the SCA.I had been a member about 6 months and kinda sorta
"inherited" the job for Montevale's Chirurgeons Collegium, June AS 23.
The chosen feastcrat had become ill and let us know about 2 weeks before
the event that she would not be able to attend. I volunteered, having
been a cook in several types of restaurant. I requested that she send me
what planning she had done, and I would go from there. What I got was
the Horizon Cookbook, and encouragement.
	Well, I sat down with it and my other sources (The Known World Handbook
and "How to Cook Forsoothly") and came up with what I thought was pretty
good for a newcomer. We planned for 40 people, including the Red Cross
instructors we had hired to teach CPR and AFA courses.
	Heere's the menu:

	Breakfast : Bannocks with butter and homemade jam
		    Hard boiled eggs
		    Stewed fruit compote
		    Coffee and juice

	Lunch: Deli sliced meats and cheeses
	       Raw veggies with dip
	       Irish Soda Bread
	       Lemonade

	Feast Remove 1 : Bread with butters (herb or honey)
			 Chicken a la Apecius
			 Green beans with Brie sauce
			 Seedcakes
			 Sekanjabin

	      Remove 2 : Medieval Coleslaw (from How to Cook Forsoothly)
			 Carbonnade Flammande (Belgian Beef Stew from Horizon)
			 Rice with herbs and diced vegggies
			 Scotch Shortbread
			 Strawberry Tarts
			 Peppermint Tea

	Well, as things happen, the event conflicted with several others , and
our attendace turned out to be around 20 instead of 40, so I was wayyyyy
over budget, but the Shire was forgiving.  The food went over great, and
I was ecstatic that my first attempt was well recieved. Even though I
now know just how much of the feast wasn't period, I have reused some of
the recipes simply because they are so well accepted by those who want
"real food that they don't have to guess what's in it". I suppose that
is "caving", but in the long run I try to balance my feasts between what
I know will be eaten, and introducing 1 or 2 unfamiliar period recipes
in each feast.
	In some ways I miss the East, having heard (read?) all the wonderful
things happening there, food-wise. Here in Trimaris, period cooking
often takes a back seat to convenience or familiarity, but I still jump
at any opportunity to do a feast here. Not always easy when there are no
conflicting events.. one per weekend.. and 35 groups to host them. Our
Barony does 3 events per year, often bid on and crew picked way in
advance, and I have to understand that newer people need their chance
too. One thing positive about this Kingdom though, You can be assured
that your feast will sell out!

Ceridwen o Cahercommaun OL, Barony of An Crosaire, Trimaris
formerly Ceridwen of Erehwon, Montevale and Blak Rose, East