SC - Confit d'oie

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Sat Oct 11 21:39:45 PDT 1997

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> What, no cure? Margali, I'm shocked ;  ) !!! I suspect this deviation
> from tradition might be the result of learning the technique "the hard
>
> way", as you put it. Generally a two-day dry-rub cure of salt and
> saltpetre, is involved. We used to salt them, put them on cake racks
> in
> a sheet pan, and store them in the walk-in refrigerator, uncovered,
> over
> the weekend, and cook them first thing Monday morning. We had to be
> careful where they were placed in the walk-in, in order to keep up
> with
> the health regulations, but it helped the cross-contamination issue
> that
> goose and duck aren't subject to salmonella.
>
> Magical stuff, though.
>
> Adamantius
> ______________________________________

We found the salt level in the flavor was unacceptable, and the original
french version did not cure the legs first. Mavis the Bewildered made
this discovery doing it the frugal gourmet way, which includes the cure.
I am planning on raising geese this spring, and in the fall knacking
them, removing the wings and legs to confit and roasting the rest to
freeze for further recipe components. There is a great potato/turnip
recipe calles pommes landaise where you cut the neeps and slices of
prosciute or westphalian ham into 1/4" dice. Panfry in goose fat with
black pepper and cinnamon. Yummy.

margali