SC - Re: A couple questions . . .

Morgan morgan at mt.net
Mon Oct 13 13:39:42 PDT 1997

- ----------
> From: Jessica Tiffin <melesine at ilink.nis.za>
> To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject: SC - Re: A couple questions . . .
> Date: Sunday, October 05, 1997 12:19 PM
> Recognition!  I concocted something very like this for a feast about a
year
> ago, basing it on a chicken-barley dish  (purportedly Saxon) I found on
the
> Net.  The flavour was wonderful (mushroom, onion, fresh herbs, dash of
> vinegar) but the barley went very glutinous, and the dish was not well
> received.  (Sigh).  What am I doing wrong?  Is that gluey consistency the
> result of overcooking, or the wrong kind of barley?  If it's all cooked
> together in broth, you can't wash it to get rid of excess starch, which
is a
> reasonable rice-fixer.
>
> grateful for imput,
>
> Melesine
>
> 	I have no  suggestion for why your dish was glutinous,  The  recipe I
have calls for soaking the barley overnight,  I then drain, rinse and add
it to the hot broth to start the cooking process.  The texture is creamy,
but the grains of barley are still distinct and intact.  I use pearl barley
from the friendly neighborhood  grocery.  I'd be  willing to share my
recipe with you.  My company enjoyed  the dish.

	Sincerely
	Caointiarn  {who believes that cooking, like Love, is to be entered into
with abandon, or not at all}