SC - Re: Illusion Foods

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 13 15:18:37 PDT 1997

Lady Beatrix wrote:

>Back to my original recipe -
>I know that cream cheese is a modern cheese, but I didn't know that
>cantaloupes were OOP. What melons, if any, are period?
>As for jello, I know gelatin is period, although time consuming and
>tasting of meat, but did they just use them in aspics? For that matter
>has anyone used an aspic in a feast and how did it go over?

Actually, canteloupes may well be in period in selected areas (France,
Italy).  Melons were apparantly introduced into France from Italy
around 1500.  I don't get the impression that they were popularly
consumed but were raised by the elite.

Seems to me there are some aspic recipes in the German material
Mistress Caterina (Alia Atlas) translated.  The problem with "gelatine"
is in how it is used.  We use it today in "jello", sweetened, and as a
dessert.  This type of use would seem to be OOP.  However, gelatine in
aspics is much different.  There are a number of references to things
put into aspics.  One of the more fascinating was using a wagon wheel
(flat), laying fish between the spokes, and then pouring aspic over the
fish.  The aspic stuck to the wheel and when set, the cook put the
wheel upright on an axel with the fish between the spokes looking as if
they were swimming.

We aren't used to things in aspic today and I would guess that most
people would not care for an aspic dish... Had one years ago with
julienned vegetables.  I can still recall my mouth expecting "jello"
and tasting something "odd" and sort of tastelessly sour.

Some of the period recipes call for the gelatine from animal parts.
Other recipes (such as the jellied milk) call for isinglass from fish.
Rather than boiling one's own bones or processing isinglass from a
fish's bladder, an acceptable modern substitution would be unflavored
gelatine.  Jello, however, is another kettle of fish (so to speak).

Alys Katharine