SC - beer bread recipe (was re: small feasts)

Ladypeyton at aol.com Ladypeyton at aol.com
Mon Oct 13 20:58:46 PDT 1997

>> gently and then dispose of the sediment.  Would you want to keep that
>> sediment
>> when using it to cook with?  Or is it just nasty stuff that should be
>> disposed
>> of?
>
>It should be usable as a "substitute" for yeast (it is yeast:-). IIRC
>there are comments by Roman writers (with these words I hereby invoke the,
>Adamantius! ;-)

Actually the live yeast is still floating around in the beer.  The stuff at
the bottom is the dead yeast hulls.  There is a possible use for them as a
yeast nutrient if you dislike using food grade urea.  There is a growing
following of people in the mundane brewing & wine making industry that
believe that food grade urea leaves an off taste and experiments are being
done to see how effective the dead hulls are as a substitute.

Peyton (who don't know from cooking but does ferment very well)