SC - Re: Illusion Foods

Meliora & Drake meliora at macquarie.matra.com.au
Mon Oct 13 23:48:19 PDT 1997

Having made Milk jellies from both gelatine and islinglass, the taste and
process are quite different.

Gelatine basically sets the whole milk without adding any flavour to the
process.

Islinglass separates the curds and the whey of milk and adds a strong tang
to the flavour.

I experimented with both a while ago (and forgot to post my final redaction
notes to Anne-Marie, ooops!) and the consensus of the 2 doz taste-testers
was the that the set whey had the best texture/flavour combo.

It also stank of fish while cooking, although this did not transfer through
to the finished product.

I'll post all of my notes tonight if anyone is interested.

Meliora.