SC - Recipe posting

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Tue Oct 14 07:23:56 PDT 1997

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> recipe when posting. The people at LLewellyn tell me that individual recipes
> are not copywritable when occuring in a collection of recipes. When I was

> that was copywrited. Apparently he entire book is copyrightable but not the
> individual recipes. Another solution is to change the amount of an ingredient

IIRC there was a discussion on this topic in rec.food.historical some
months ago. Someone (Cariadoc?) gave the (US!) legal background for this.
Apparently the courts had gotten fed up with litigious cookbook authors
taking each other to court since their recipie for boiling potatoes was
perhaps copied by another author. The court basically washed their hands
of the whole thing, declairing that, as Ras stated, individual recipies
are not copyrightable.

Anyone believing my memory should do the requiered Deja News search and read
the commentary for themselves. YMMW, contents may settle in transit, etc

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."